Hello friends of Mermaid Theatre!
We’ve been very busy for the last few months, and we’ve still got lots to do. Here’s an update of the latest events from here in our facility in Windsor.
* Our biggest job is to finish building the puppets and set pieces for our newest production, Stella Queen of the Snow. The production team is going full throttle to get everything ready. We have people sewing, painting, carving, building, composing, and preparing for the premiere next month and subsequent fall tour. Things are really starting to come together. Rehearsals begin this month, and we’re presenting the world premiere of the show at the Magnetic North / STAGES Theatre Festival, taking place together in Halifax in June, with a US/Canadian tour to follow in the fall. We’ll post the schedule in the coming weeks.
* Our Swimmy, Frederick, & Inch by Inch company returned from tour a couple of weeks ago after a successful tour with nearly 60 shows in 14 states. Welcome home, folks!
* We still have two companies on the road touring The Very Hungry Caterpillar & Other Eric Carle Favourites. One company is currently in their final venue for a multi-week run at the Chicago Children’s Theatre. The other company has completed over 150 shows and is currently finishing their tour with a four-week visit to South Korea and had a great response from our first-ever audiences in the Kingdom of Bahrain for their Spring of Culture Festival in March. We’ll also be touring Caterpillar again in the fall, with over 200 shows in 25 states and 3 provinces. We’ll post that schedule in the coming weeks as well.
* Since September 1, 2013, the three touring companies have performed over 385 shows for a combined audience of over 225,000 people! Keep up the good work and safe travels to the “Caterpillar” companies!
* We’re currently welcoming nine aspiring puppeteers to Mermaid’s annual ANIMOTION Puppetry Intensive. They’ve come from several provinces to study with us, and Jim and Struan are keeping them very busy.
* At MIPAC, our local theatre, we’re hosting the final two shows of our 2013-14 Entertainment Series. SQUID Precision Drummers with Cassie & Maggie MacDonald are playing this Saturday, May 3, at 2pm; and Canadian playwright Jeremy Webb brings his online-dating comedy FISHING to our stage on May 17 at 7pm.
* Mermaid’s Youtheatre is performing their new project, Be the Peace, at the Nova Scotia High School Dramafest in Halifax this weekend, with several performances in the coming months at several high schools around the province.
* Finally, we’re looking for a summer student here at the office. This is a full time job for 12 weeks beginning June 2. The posting is on the job bank.gc.ca website. It’s open to students who are returning to school in the fall. If you or someone you know in the Windsor, NS area wants to work in a cool place, please get in touch. The deadline is May 15.
Thanks for reading. Have a good weekend!